Sunday, May 11, 2008

What is God?

I had this question asked of me. I gave the typical answer that most would give. My Father, Alimighty, etc.... You see the walk that my family and I have been on has been eye opening. What is God? How can you answer this question. Please read and enjoy. It is a bit long but it's worth the read. Especially at the very end. This is from my friend John who is my brother in Yeshua.

In Genesis 15:1, YHWH told our Father Abraham that He was his "exceeding great reward". He didn't tell Abraham that He had an exceeding great reward, but that He was his exceeding great reward. Most believers don't know the Almighty in this way. we know what God does for us--He saves me, He prospers me, He cares for me, He answers my prayers, He teaches me, He.... These things are all true. The Almighty can manifest Himself to His children in whatever they need at any given time. I feed my children, and clothe my children, and bathe my children and teach my children and nurture/hug my children...but is that what I am? What am I? A father? Yes, but more than that. A husband? Yes, but more than that. A man? Yes, but more than that. A son? Yes, but more than that? These things answer the question of Who I am, not What I am. Who is a question that deals with relationship (whether intimate or not), but What is a question that deals with essence. What is something made up of? What is the essence of that thing?

Of course, this becomes difficult. What is a man? Is He only what his physiology determines? Cells and molecules, DNA and electrical charges? Of course not. He is more than that. But even if we were advanced enough to study the soul itself, would that define what a man is? If man is that difficult to consider and we are him, then how truly difficult to consider the question of what God is! This is, I should think, an impossible feat. However, it is a challenge that we should pursue with all intensity! God is not only the exceeding great reward of our Father Abraham, but also the exceeding great reward of us, Abraham's children! He, Himself is our great reward. Yeshua said in John 17:3--"And this is life eternal, that they might know you the only, true God, and Yeshua the Messiah, whom you have sent." That IS eternal life. Did we actually think that eternal life was endless days? HaHa Of course, it is referring to endless days, but what good would it be to be immortal without a vital relationship with the Divine? It would be hell!

Lee, Most people study God for what He does. They see His actions and they give praise for them. And there's nothing wrong with doing that. In fact, we are commanded to do that. However, that seems to be the only relationship they have with YHWH. They don't know Him intimately like a friend. It can't truly be said of them that they walk with God. But this must be your primary pursuit in life--to KNOW God. It's my desire through our relationship to break down the imaginations that hold us back from experiencing Him intimately. Preconceived ideas of God must be challenged and made to stand the test of Scripture.

You see, in all of our learning, we must draw ever closer to Him. The things that I teach you about YHWH should make you look at Him in a more severe reverence. You should come to a place where you tremble at His word and long for just another moment with Him. And you will.

So just like two friends get to know each other and that knowledge of one another, handled respectfully, increases the friendship; so too, the knowledge of God will increase intimacy with Him. But not mere head knowledge, it's a different kind of knowledge. My professor in college used to say, "Some things can't be taught, they must be caught." That's the type of knowledge I'm referring to. There is a knowledge of the Holy that only few of YHWH's children have pursued. But it's the best part. It's not the knowledge ABOUT Him, but the knowledge OF Him! I hope this makes sense. If it doesn't, it will. HaHa!

Shalom,

John

P.S.-- All these questions are inadequate questions: Who is God? What is God? When is God? Where is God? Why is there a God? Any attempt to answer these will automatically be wrong, because YHWH simply is. He (even "He" is inadequate) revealed His name to Moshe as "I AM". In Hebrew, it simply means "I exist". God is not Who, What, When, Where or Why. He simply exists. Yes, we may have seen "limited manifestations" of Him that appear to answer some of these questions, but they're not really Him. He is beyond our confines of natural seeking. That's why we must search Him out with our inner man. And that's what you must learn to do next. Ha! Wow, are you in for a ride!

Shalom

Lee

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous post. Sometimes I forget to be in relationship with him. Instead I become legalistic- just doing what I'm supposed to do. Since coming to an understanding of the nature of torah- the legalism has just melted off. Some people would think that doesn't make sense. But my husband has said the same thing. We understand God and his grace better. And we have drawn closer to him. Thank you of reminding me of the relationship.