Thursday, May 8, 2008

and it continues

I knew that these people did some things differently and wasn't so sure how my husband would respond if I asked him if we could go sometime. You see he knew that our friends and these others did things "Jewishly" but what he didn't know was that none of them were actually Jewish. I ended up at my friends house helping her get her house ready to host the next meeting and she asked if I would come. I said I would, but I didn't know about Lee since he had to work that day (Saturday). I had already spent sometime with these other families on other occasions so I knew of some things that were different. For instance- they don't eat bacon, they hold the Sabbath, and they celebrate Hanukkah and not Christmas- but they're "CHRISTIANS"!! How can this be I wondered? Why would anyone want to put themselves back under the curse of the Law? Don't they know Christ came to abolish it? We are saved by grace? We aren't like those non Jesus believing Jews...poor things...lost. Well not knowing what to expect I showed up Saturday morning. After all there was food and friends. I was pleasantly surprised. After a rousing worship time where all the kids got an instrument I was ready for the "teaching". Well then we all took turns reading part of portions we are going through Genesis, Joshua(at that time) and Matthew-a chapter each-even the youngest reader got to read a verse or two! My kids were so excited. Then we broke for "oneg". I was under the impression that we were doing communion (and for a bit I still did) as we raise our grape juice glasses and broke the bread and said some Hebrew and English prayer. This is actually the kiddush Then we moved into eating. I can handle that no problemo. So after eating we dove into the teaching. This guy knows some Bible I tell you what! He went to seminary school but has immersed himself in the Hebrew history to get the full meaning. After all Jesus was a Hebrew. Lee shows up at the house and sits in for the last 1/2 hour. He was right there with his Bible opened and enthralled. It helped that the teacher was excited about what he was teaching and had a laugh that could get you laughing for nothing!! From there, Lee was hooked!
Sandra

No comments: